Home Oxygen Assessment Service
From left to right: Natasha Baya (Home Oxygen Physiotherapist), Janet Andrews (Secretary) and Madeline Thorne (Home Oxygen Physiotherapist).
THIS SERVICE SHOULD NOT BE CONFUSED WITH BOC (BRITISH OXYGEN COMPANY) WHO DELIVER THE OXYGEN AND SERVICE THE OXYGEN EQUIPMENT
THIS SERVICE PROVIDES FOR PEOPLE IN NORTH EAST ESSEX ONLY
Home Oxygen Service
Primary Care Centre
Tel: 01206 286695
Fax: 01206 286549
Working Hours: Monday-Friday 9am-5pm
What does the service do?
We offer an assessment service to establish patients' oxygen status, as well as on-going assessments and support users of home oxygen. We also provide training to healthcare providers in the safe prescribing of home oxygen.
The service assesses patients with LTOT (Long Term Oxygen Therapy), AO (Ambulatory Oxygen Therapy) and SBOT (Short Burst Oxygen Therapy). We assess a range of adults with respiratory and other conditions.
Who is the service provided for?
This service is provided to the following patients: ·
- Patients already using home oxygen (LTOT, SBOT or Ambulatory Oxygen)
- Patients who present with consistently low pulse oximetry reading (SpO2< 92%) on air when stable.
The service covers the catchment area of NHS North East Essex.
How do you access the service?
New referrals are accepted from hospital medical staff, nurses and GPs, only through the use of the Home Oxygen Service Referral form. This form has been distributed to all the surgeries in our catchment. If you do not have access to this form, please contact the team on the telephone number provided.
How do you order Home Oxygen?
For all new prescriptions of home oxygen, please use all 3 forms below. For changes in patients' prescriptions, you don't have to use the HOCF again.
PLEASE NOTE: You must follow SMOKING CESSATION PROTOCOLS prior to ordering oxygen for a SMOKER.
- Fax Header To be used with ALL oxygen orders and amendments. It provides further information on where to send copies of the HOOF.
- Home Oxygen Order Form (HOOF)This form must be completed for ALL oxygen orders and amendments and sent to BOC, the patient's GP and to the Home Oxygen Assessment service (Fax 01206-286549). For guidance please see How to fill in a HOOF Part A .
- Home Oxygen Consent Form (HOCF) A consent form (HOCF) only needs to be done once and should be kept in the patient's record. Once patients are known to BOC, you do't need to complete another HOCF.
Patient Information Leaflets
Oxygen from a concentrator
Using a hand-held fan to control breathlessness
Other useful information leaflets